This article was originally published on https://www.techstorytime.com/10-ways-to-boost-wi-fi-signal/
Do you know there are ways to boost your internet speed? If the answer is no, then you don’t have to worry because we will be sharing nearly 12 tips that can be helpful to improve your internet speed. However, you can also choose internet services that provide you with the speed they claim, like Viasat satellite internet.
In case, your internet speed is below what your internet service plan claimed then the reason could be your wireless internet router signal. However, there are various reasons that can slow down the internet speed but your WiFi signal can make and break your internet usage experience.
If you want to browse Facebook and it is not loading on the upper floor of your house, this is the time to boost your WiFi signal speed.
Most of the time you experience slow internet while scrolling social media. Let’s say you’re having trouble running a YouTube video, it may be because you don’t have enough WiFi signals. A slow WiFi connection can be frustrating. Fortunately, you can try some tips to boost wireless signals. You can also check out the Viasat internet plans for better internet speed.
Before we jump on the tips to boost your WiFi speed for a better internet usage experience, we should know some of the common reasons that can slow down your internet connection speed.
Common Issue which Slow Down Internet
- Restart the modem/router: To fix a temporary problem, restarting your modem or router can solve the problems that are showing your internet speed.
- Data cap by the provider: You should also check for a data cap by your provider because your ISP might be the reason for a slow internet speed for going over it.
- Go for an update: Sometimes your equipment needs a software update. Sometimes, you just need to connect your router to a computer with an Ethernet cable. You can also visit the manufacturer’s website to install updates.
- Clear the cache: Sometimes the excessive accumulated data becomes a dead weight that slows down the connection speed. Try to clear your cache on your system and the browsing history to improve the internet speed.
- Use ad blocker: You can also install an adblocker; this will also improve your internet speed.
- Disconnect unused devices: Sometimes, there are certain devices in your house that you might use once to use the internet, but they are still connected to your WiFi. To disconnect all the connected devices that you are not using anymore, it is better to change your Wi-Fi password.
- Change your provider: After using all the things you could, the only option left to get a fast internet speed is to change your internet provider and go for other providers that like Viasat internet plans, in case you are facing such problems.
- Google Pixel Buds A Seems to be Leaked in an Official Email – Aspartin
- How to Change Classes in Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin Trials of the Dragon King
- Dogelon Mars or HUH Token for turning $100 into thousands?
- How To Undervolt GPU? The Ultimate Guide to Undervolting Nvidia’s GPU – Techsuperman
10 Tips To Increase Your Internet Speed:
1. Try to reset your router
When you face any issue on your laptop, phone, or computer you try to restart to fix whatever is causing the problem. Just like that with this simple tip, you can also fix slow internet speed, so reset your router and try to reboot your wireless router. This can fix the connection problem and improve internet speed.
2. Use a new Wi-Fi channel
There are some standard routers that providers a standard Wi-Fi speed of 2.4 GHz. So, you can change this speed to 5 GHz and boost your internet speed with Viasat internet plans. You also get 23 non-overlapping channels with 5GHz and you only get 14 overlapping channels with 2.4GHz. When channels overlap this causes the data packets to travel back and forth on neighboring channels that further interfere with each other that slowing down your internet speed and clogging up bandwidth. There are router that provides up to 5GHz, however, some routers are limited to 2.4GHz ban, in this case, it is better to choose channels 1, 11, or 6 because these channels have minimum overlap from other channels, especially if you convince your neighbors to use only 1,6, or 11 channels.
3. Buy or Configure a Wi-Fi Repeater
Getting a Wi-Fi repeater helps to carry your Wi-Fi signal further while the SSID and the password settings remain the same. So, if you face slow internet speed you can improve the internet speed just by adding a Wi-Fi repeater. You can also use a repeater out of an extra router and by connecting another router to your first router via their LAN ports and configuring the settings, you’ll be able to use the extra device to carry your wireless signal. Some new routers have this feature built-in as “access point” mode, which eliminates the need to change the device’s settings.
- VPNSecure Review for macOS and iOS – Mac, iPhone, and iPad | GeekMetic
- Apple M2 – a new processor for “apple” computers | Compspice
- Japanese e-commerce enabler AnyMind raises funding – TechCrunch –
- TOP BITMOJI ALTERNATIVE APPS FOR ANDROID 2022
- How to Hide Mutual Friends on Facebook – [2022 Guide] – TechSips
4. Cut off Bandwidth leeches by updating your Security
If your Wi-Fi network lacks the necessary protection this can expose your network to freeloaders and therefore, make sure that your wi-fi network is protected by password and only people you allow can use your internet connection. So, all homeowners should use WPA2 security to their routers with a complex password. Especially people with automated homes should protect their Wi-Fi network from intruders to prevent outside devices. If outside devices use your Wi-Fi connection because you do not use WPA2 security, this can be a failure to secure your network and open an invitation for strangers to use your network.
5. Shift Your Wireless Router to an Elevated Area
The signal strength of your router also depends on where are your Wi-Fi router is located. In case, the router is located in a lower area with more obstruction then the strength of the signals becomes weak. However, if you shift your router to a higher place, with less obstruction this can improve the speed of Wi-Fi signals. Placing your router on the ground level can limit the speed in various areas inside your home. So, it is good to keep your router on a higher level, and even better if you have two floors, you should keep your Wi-Fi router on the second floor. You should also know that bricks and concrete materials limit your router’s ability to broadcast to the entire house. If the object around the router is dense the signal strength improves.
6. Get a Brand new High-End Router
Sometimes the router you are using is close to the situation of aging. If you want to boost your internet speed you should buy a new high-end router, it is like an investment in faster and better internet speed. Getting a new router also improves your home security features and provides a wider spectrum of devices at home.
7. Get an Internet Extender
In case, you want uninterrupted internet for basement gaming equipment, then adding a Wi-Fi extender is good to boost the internet speed. However, this solution requires wiring and therefore, this might only be the best solution for every person to boost their internet speed. Wi-Fi extender works like a Wi-Fi repeater that helps to improve internet speed.
8. Change the Angle of your Wi-Fi Antenna
If your Wi-Fi or internet router has antennas then, you can change the angle to increase the Wi-Fi speed. However, nowadays WiFi routers don’t have antennas so if your router has antennas you can use this technique. If the Wi-Fi signals spread out perpendicular to the router this can weaken the Wi-Fi signals.
9. Optimize your Router Settings
You can test different settings on the router to check the internet speed and signal strength at your place. Some routers can improve the internet speed for the time you are streaming some content and playing video games. If multiple people are using a Wi-Fi connection, you can turn off the entertainment settings. Also, if you live in a crowded WiFi network area, it is better to set the RTS threshold to a lower number to better the Wi-Fi performance. If you change your settings from fragmentation threshold to a lower value, this will also help to transfer the data packets more efficiently and improve issues related to network reliability.
10. Upgrade Antennas
Other tips to improve your Wi-Fi connection are to upgrade your antenna or use omnidirectional antennas. Some router models have visible antennas that provide high-speed internet. This kind of deal is good for the users because certain third-party manufacturers provide replacement antennas with more robust signals compared to your cable or internet provider. Omnidirectional antennas are upgraded versions of old antennas because no matter what is the positioning you will not have to angle the antenna to boost your Wi-Fi signal. A router in a central spot; If possible try to place the Wi-Fi router in a central part of your home because this can be helpful to improve signal strength. No, you don’t have to hang your router in the central part of your house like a showpiece, so you can hang your router at places where it is not visible.
You can also use a speed test to know how fast your Wi-Fi connection and internet speed are. You can easily take this test on a computer or laptop that is connected to your Wi-Fi network. This will also allow knowing the upload and pin time along with the download speeds. This blog contains offers related to some of our partners but still, the information regarding the offers is unbiased.